JennieBasset

I read. I read. I read.

Forbidden (Definitions)

Forbidden - Tabitha Suzuma Well. Wow. The emotion, eloquence, love, grief, and hopelessness throughout this story did me in.Two young people thrust into adulthood far too soon take up every aspect of what it is to take care of a family. Lochlan, an achingly intelligent young man crippled with social anxiety is the oldest brother in a family that includes two sisters and two brothers. Maya, the oldest sister, plays the role of mother to Lochlan's father thanks to a runaway dad and a drunken, absent mother.The relationship that develops between Lochlan and Maya is heartbreakingly strong yet wrong. The work these two do to keep their family together, to try to avoid their pull towards one another, and to simply stay afloat is astounding. I was uncomfortable reading parts of this book. Incest is wrong and this book doesn't set out to prove otherwise. Uncomfortable or not, I was forced to contemplate the situation. How wrong is wrong? Who is being hurt? I'll remember this book for a long time. I have to say that I would have preferred the book end different - that Maya make a different choice. The author convinced me thoroughly that neither can exist without the other.